MARTONEN- BIOLOGY LESSON PLANS- 4/30/18
HIGH SCHOOL CONTENT STANDARDS ADDRESSED
HS-LS2-8: Evaluate the evidence for the role of group behavior on individual and species’ chances to survive and reproduce.
HS-LS4-6: Create or revise a simulation to test a solution to mitigate adverse impacts of human activity on biodiversity. **
HS-LS1-4: Use a model to illustrate the role of cellular division (mitosis) and differentiation in producing and maintaining complex organisms.
HS-LS3-1: Ask questions to clarify relationships about the role of DNA and chromosomes in coding the instructions for characteristic traits passed from parents to offspring.
HS-LS3-2: Make and defend a claim based on evidence that inheritable genetic variations may result from: (1) new genetic combinations through meiosis, (2) viable errors occurring during replication, and/or (3) mutations caused by environmental factors.
HS-LS3-3: Apply concepts of statistics and probability to explain the variation and distribution of expressed traits in a population.
HS-LS4-1: Communicate scientific information that common ancestry and biological evolution are supported by multiple lines of empirical evidence.
HS-LS4-2: Construct an explanation based on evidence that the process of evolution primarily results from four factors: (1) the potential for a species to increase in number, (2) the heritable genetic variation of individuals in a species due to mutation and sexual reproduction, (3) competition for limited resources, and (4) the proliferation of those organisms that are better able to survive and reproduce in the environment.
1. Planarian body systems and processes
2. Introduction to parasitic flat worms
3. Parasitic flat worms- life cycles
4. Planarian observations
1. Observation and work day for planarian regeneration project- formal lab report due next Friday.
2. Platyhelminthes note sheet
3. Platyhelminthes review sheet
4. Planarian body systems and processes
1. Lab- roundworms- vinegar eels and pollutants lab- follow directions and answer analysis questions for a grade.
2. Planarian observations- clean up planarian lab
1. Finish lab- vinegar eels
1. Notesheet- roundworms and review sheet- roundworms- students will learn about psuedocoelomate phyla Rotifera and Nematoda (roundworms).
2. Three life cycles of typical roundworms
3. Work on planarian lab report
NO SCHOOL PD DAY